Tuesday, January 11, 2005

To antagonize or motivate?

It's Day 2 of this week that I haven't shown up for swim in the mornings and I've caught a lot of slack for it. I understand that my friends are trying to motivate, however it seems to me as it's more antagonizing. I will swim when I want to swim! There's more to it, really. My left shoulder bursitis has been acting up and I'm a bit freaked out about making it worse. I've also had a bit of insomnia these past two nights which has left me feeling lethargic in the mornings. So, I'm taking advil and focusing on my cycling. I will attempt to swim tomorrow through Friday, avoiding the pull buouy, as I'm sure that's what instigated the inflammation of my shoulder this time around.

My cycling is going well though, I managed to put in 3 hours and 45 minutes on the trainer on Sunday, totalling 56 miles, and then ran for 15 minutes so that I can start getting used to the T2 transition. Last week's goal/training hours called for 10 hours - I managed to get in 8 hours and 45 minutes. This week's goal calls for 10 and a half hours.

It's certainly hard juggling a social life with my training plan. It almost seems easier that I just cut out the socialization for the next 87 days rather than reconfigure my week's training hours. I also just need to do away with the excuses. If I can't swim in the morning due to shoulder pain, there's no reason that I can't get up at that same time and hit the treadmill at the gym or jump on my bike trainer. I guess it's just hard to know when to say when....all the books talk about rest and recovery, many of them indicate that if you're too fatigued to do a workout to the caliber that you would expect, it might be worthwhile to skip the workout and rest instead. So how do I make that call? And how do I do it without the guilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment